5 Things You Can Do To Get Back on Track When the Holidays Have Trashed Your Skin
Did you overindulge this holiday? I’m talking about cookies, cocktails and all the delicious eats that often find their way into our diet during the holidays. Everything in moderation is ok, but if your pants are feeling a little snug, you may have more than one problem on your hands.
Your Skin After the Holidays
Over these last few weeks, I’ve received countless comments from clients concerned about acne breakouts, redness and dull skin. Sound familiar? Most people don’t make the connection between their skin after the holidays and the poor diet they enjoyed, but it’s there and it’s BIG!
Here’s the deal, your overall health impacts your skin and it all starts with what you put in your mouth followed by these 3 things:
- your state of being at the time of putting it in your mouth;
- how well you do or do not chew it;
- and your ability to break it down and absorb it.
We have 5 foundations of nutritional health. They are:
- Blood Sugar Regulation
- Mineral Balance
- Essential Fatty Acids
Each of these are impacted by what I mentioned and they all play a role in your overall health, as well as the healthy and quality of our skin.
So, as we eat our way through the holiday season enjoying a diet high in sugar and fat aka cookies, cocktails and rich holiday meals, there’s a good chance we aren’t balancing our nutritional health the way we should.
Now, you might be thinking “I’m good, my skin is clear and I’m rolling in 2020 like a boss!” Hold that thought because sometimes it can take up to 90 days from consuming all these treats before you see an impact. So brace yourself, changes may be coming.
Here’s What You Can Do to Get Back on Track
- Cut back on sugar. Toss all those leftover cookies that have been hanging around to avoid anymore temptation. I know I can’t resist those little buggers.
- Focus on a diet of lean meats, essential fatty acids and leafy greens. Ditch all the processed foods and stick to meals packed with the good stuff. You could also consider adding a supplement. Here’s a post I did about the supplements I carry a while back.
- Get hydrated. Get back to drinking the amount of water you should be and if you can, add in some mineral water to help improve your mineral balance.
- Slow down. If you were running like crazy, eating on the go and grabbing unhealthy choices in the process, the best thing to do is slow down, make good food choices and eat your meals slowly so you can chew your food and digest it well.
- Did you fall asleep with your makeup on a few times? Or were too tired to go through your nightly routine? It happens, but now that the holidays are behind us, get back on track and make your morning and evening skincare routine a priority again.
Lastly, be patient. If you need to work on your skin after the holidays start doing the 5 things I mentioned. If you’re still suffering from breakouts, redness and more, remember, these issues didn’t happen overnight. They happened over time and it’s going to take the same if not more, time to clear them up. Consistency is key.
If you need some help along the way, don’t hesitate to schedule a visit to see me.